The True Value Of My Invisible Diploma

Ah yes..I have heard and witnessed sibling rivalry and the inevitable "our parents love you more than they love me" retort. I was a witness only as I am a single child. Was I spoilt and needy in that case? 1 toy (birthday present) each year would be a NO. Mum had the money, but she was teaching me the difference between want & need (they were the same thing I used to think), without letting me know at the time. No kid wants to learn after school hours.

Sure I nagged, negotiated, begged etc for 11 months of the year for more toys, as I just HAD to have whatever toy was "new, shiny and amazing" on tv. WANT.
Then, every year, the month before my birthday mum would ask me what toy I wanted for my birthday. That was actually really hard for me to answer as I didn't really NEED what I thought I couldn't live without. Then we would talk through some options and pick a gift for me. Back then I swore that I was the victim of child abuse, all this not getting what I want business. With time I met my friends parents and some did buy their kids nearly everything that they asked for. For some kids enough was never really enough. This didn't necessarily turn them into spoilt brats, but understanding the value of products or sometimes peoples time had an affect on some of my friends. Frustrating.

I enjoyed school, but I really value my invisible "diploma" from mum's school of life.

King M. Rakic
-Same subject, but different, my blog Understand Your Value

Comments

Popular Posts