De-Groovy, De-Lightful, De-Dali

Galeries Lafayette in Paris is extraordinary to say the least. Whilst in France, one should buy a French fragrance...no?

Back in 1992 I was yet to start my Management studies and my career working in the cosmetics industry in London, that came a few months after my short but wonderful trip to Paris. In terms of fragrance selection, all that I knew was that I didn't want to smell like everyone else as was the case back in the nightclubs at home. "I can smell that your wearing..." etc. I wanted a memorable moment from time in Paris.

Salvador Dali is Spanish but a french fragrance house creates his fragrances. I bought his mens fragrance from the Galeries Lafayette. It truly is a work of art as well as a "what fragrance are you wearing?" conversational starter. Later whilst working in Harrods, Dali's fragrances crossed my path once again and I was introduced to his makeup range as the Dali cosmetics counter was right next to mine at Calvin Klein. 

I loved working for Calvin Klein as we were in second position in the departments sales ranking in the Black Room (Harrods Perfumery-which has black marble floors, walls and ceiling). At the time Jean Paul Gaultier and Issey Miyake continuously kept the number one ranking. Second place suits me fine as it is less pressure, but still competitive enough to keep you on your game in order to keep that ranking. 

"Calvin Klein is considered a pharmacy brand back in America, how come it's so big here?"..maybe distance makes the heart grow fonder? Maybe we don't want what is local to us, we prefer a brand from over the seas and the perceived lifestyle that comes into our imagination with every spray of the fragrance bottle. Salvador Dali fragrances brought that to me. 

If anyone can have it, then I don't want it. But it still has to be cost effective. Tom Ford is a higher price point than most fragrances, I loved the exclusivity that came with it, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that amount of money. The brand grew and it became more accessible, exclusivity still to a remained, but it wasn't for me.

So "what is me?"..skincare and fragrance priced around $100, long lasting (Parfum if possible) and for people to ask me "what is it about you? Your skin? That scent?". It is harder for me to find, these products, but it is not impossible..that "is me".

Plan B-Use my trained nose to layer fragrances and create my own "same but different" scent. Burberry Brit Parfum warm on my skin topped with an aura of YSL Manifesto EDP. KMR Love Potion No1.

I am a cosmetics Store Manager with hundreds of fragrances in our store, yet I have nothing to wear.

KMR
-Love Potion No1 revealed!
Thank you Brad Pears for the photo's of the Galleries Lafayette. Amuse toi bien à Paris!

Comments

Popular Posts