Food Xenophobia



Where did the other 50% come from?
We don't ask, we don't care?
There is a huge trust factor involved when it comes to our food, but when was the last time, at a restaurant, when you asked to see the kitchen and (excuse being to "thank the chef") have a quick look at the condition of the cooking preparation area? Umm never? Me neither.


Golden Tower, Market City. Kitchen clearly visible, great food and staff. 


I love the "restaurant disaster" TV shows. Not for the drama and the unrest, but rather the turn around from half thought through ideas and good intentions to a focused and enthusiastic team who work hard to keep the restaurant hygienic, a fun place to work and most importantly a profitable and marketable business. That's the management consultant talking who is still a part of me.

Sure, one particular chef/host could lay off the swear words quite substantially, but most of the time he is at boiling point from the closed minds and the negative attitude which he encounters when he presents the owners with clear and logical solutions to their concerns, they refuse to listen, change is too hard, and he is ready to leave the restaurant as it is. To walk out from the whole renovation rescue before it has even commenced. They asked to be on the show, they know the years of experience behind his words and yet "he doesn't know me or how hard my life has been"..so this person chooses to yell that over anyone who tries to speak. 

For some it could come from inexperience. A lifetime of working with family members who yell to be heard won't work once the business is yours and you employ staff. It could also be as simple as "barking out a threatening reminder of who owns this territory." I would walk out regardless of the reason.


No offence to pigs as they are intelligent. This acts as a relatable metaphor
One passionate person alone can not run all aspects of the business in order to pay the bills which is why most businesses have teams. 

My point being that you should respect other people and listen to what they have to say, as hard as it may be for you to hear it. I draw the line at name calling and swearing (note-that could change if I get my own TV show, although it is highly unlikely. KMR TV-Be kind, be silly and help people..Damn you Ellen Degeneres! You beat me to it) as that generally means that you didn't come prepared for the meeting, you fear that you will lose at the end (aggression isn't normally associated with confident and fearless people) of the conversation so you must "fight to save the business" which is a great idea, but completely the wrong delivery. 

A few customers come into the restaurant to dine every other day, the staff are juggling a few jobs elsewhere to keep things going here because they like each other, staff morale disappeared a few months ago, the kitchen is dirty, food is often sent back by the customers, they make the meal again, more money lost. Still the owner says "it's fine"...let it go, let it go!

Personal pride can blind a person. Take pride in your work, let others feel proud working there and only then can you allow yourself to be proud. 

Owning a business isn't enough, you need to take ownership of your business.

-When things go wrong, it's your fault, regardless of who did what. It's your business. Step forward, fix it. eg. someone keeps burning their hand in the same place..faulty equipment perhaps? Insufficient training? If it is their fault, then you deal with it as you hired them.
-When things go really well, it is because of your staff. You step back and clap really hard. Teamwork makes the dream work.

If food is returned, yelling at the chef takes more of their life energy away from them, but the problem stays the same. Fighting a problem with a problem. Sad but true.

Training? Extra days off? What do they need from you in order to be successful? If you have done all of that and more, it still doesn't justify the perceived need to tell someone what they already know. Explore options for them in another part of the business, and look for a replacement if it is not within their capacity to fulfill their current role.

I have had my own "live in" camera man and sound technician in the past, that's another blog..perhaps?

*I am aware that most television shows are heavily scripted. However I have worked with, around or next door to people who behaved exactly like the people on this television show genre. It is relatable for me to refer to as apposed to me talking about myself and telling people what to do and what not to do, not my style. Jerry Springer is a reality show? Right?..I jest.

Do not panic. Don't be rude. #AskMoreLearnMore


Do you think literally or laterally?!




And therein lies the problem and the solution. Learn from the past, but do not use examples of your success in the past as the benchmark for your business plans into the future. 

King M. Rakic
#FoodXenophobia
*I understand how I could potentially lose credibility as a blogger by referring to a television show which isn't a credible source when it comes to sociology or business acumen. I see myself as more than a blogger, less than a journalist and 100% me. However I do take my work seriously and I would like to put forward my Blogger Profile which includes my work history in business management as well as my work as an online reporter/do everything title. I am aware that people can write whatever they like about themselves as their profile description, therefore I would like to put forward my LinkedIn Page which elaborates further in regards to my work experience, skills and endorsements. And for the power of 3, I would like to put forward KMR Beaute Facebook for my aspirations and my Impressum. Hopefully it impresses and most importantly that it may alay any concerns that someone with a mental health issue, a disability or an emotional concern may have in terms of questioning my sincerity after the deplorable treatment that they may been subjected to and often stemming from others blinding ableism. 
There is a lot of negative traffic on the worldwide web and trust is an issue for many. I hope to gain your trust.

My attempt at humor is scrutinized by myself and my colleagues as not to offend or harm. But....You can be serious in life, but it's easier if it's seriously fun 😲


-What A Waste Of Food...? ☜My blog on the supermarket, super waste.

Comments

Popular Posts