Lessons From A Singer


Ok so I am not sure of the authenticity of this document or if it was intended to be tongue in cheek, but it did raise a few valid points.

Your friends may be coming over in an hours time, but they are always early. The door bell could give you a fright whilst you are on your Singer sewing machine. You do not want that dancing around in your head whilst working with a mechanical sewing needle which is centimetres away from your fingers.

The main point what I am getting from this is to be 100% present in the moment and do what you do to your best ability, distraction free. When your  children come home from school are you looking at them when you ask how their day was or are you yelling out the question whilst preparing their dinner? "They grow up so fast and then they move out" they say.

It was just my mum and I when I was growing up. My mum still liked to look good for herself and for me when it came to hair and lipstick. Skincare took a lifetime of coaching from me, but to no avail until much later in life when it was family reunion time, but that is for another blog. 

Mum set a time each week for her to use her Singer to make dresses, pants, curtains and anything else that we needed. It was clear to me as a child that that was her time and that accidents could happen. We were, and still are, addicted to television. It is nearly always turned on. Breakfast, lunch and dinner we sat at the dining table and the television was never allowed to be turned on. Even now when I see her it is the same. At times we had nothing to say but we ate, looked into each other's eyes and we were present. That was the best present and lesson that my mum could give me. As well as putting rollers in her hair when I was a teenager as it gave me a distinct advantage when I started my first job as a hairdressing apprentice.

KMR

Comments

Popular Posts