Words-Make Or Break



I saw these beautiful and vibrant owls on Facebook and the comments where split down the middle as to whether the photos were photoshopped or if the owls were really those colours. Very quickly admiration had turned to speculation. It wasn't a negative situation yet the debate went on. I just wanted a few more minutes to admire the owls or the artwork, if it was colour enhanced. I didn't mind if the owls were real or not, I just admired them for their initial beauty.

The same can be said if I meet a woman or man at work or socially. I do not ask them if they are wearing makeup. I just compliment them on what I see or hear them saying to me as a beautiful persona is just as, if not more, important. If people want to wear makeup or not, and this is coming from a makeup artist who needs to sell makeup to make a living, as long as they feel good about themselves then the rest in life will hopefully follow. 

A negative attitude to a negative situation will rarely give you a positive outcome. So try the opposite approach. It isn't always easy, but it's worth a try.



"Don't listen to me, I'm just stupid" - I often hear both men and women over use this as a descriptive statement.

Even if you say it about yourself as a joke, it can have a negative cumulative affect. For example I met a customer for the first time and she was confused about a few products in my store. She told me not to worry as she was stupid and she laughed it off. I replied with a smile and in a positive tone "please don't say that, as you are not stupid" and I meant it. It was the truth. Confusion isn't stupidity. She left and then came back a minute later to say "thank you for what you said, but when you are told by family and friends your whole life that you are stupid; you start to believe them". There was a firm tone in her voice and I knew immediately that she was serious. I didn't expect that from talking to her earlier. My heart sank.

I want people to put value on themselves and have a balanced sense of self if they can. If they can't, then hopefully they can find a way to be at peace with themselves and to be able to lead a good life. Professional help isn't cost effective for most people and it is not always necessary as the R U OK? program has shown by asking people to open up some dialogue with one another. Simple, but effective.
KMR Beaute Instagram Page


We all have bad days, we make mistakes, sometimes we also act silly and that is all ok. That doesn't make you a stupid person. I am not asking people to be politically correct and to "walk on egg shells" around people nor do I think that we can help absolutely everyone. But giving a person a chance to express themselves can be a huge step forward for them and that could be all that they needed from you. You don't know what that persons journey in life was before you met them, you may only meet them for a brief minute. One word could end a person's life, restore it or just give them a smile. Find other words to describe yourself such as forgetful, accident prone or silly if need be. Some of the greatest discoveries in medical research and other fields have come by accident and those people are not stupid. We are human.

Sorry but I don't believe in Unicorns, but I choose to believe in these owls and I do not need to know any more about them as they made me smile.

King M. Rakic

Comments

Popular Posts