The Urban Balcony

Urbanbalcony.com.au


Back in 2008 I was running two successful hotels simultaneously when my boss, who was also my flatmate, told me that he was selling the hotels and moving to Europe. Not so bad really, but for the fact that he only gave me three days notice.

 
I suddenly had no job, no where to live. 


And the global financial crisis happened. It was too early to know that Australia would do alright in the end, but there was a lot of uncertainty.

The Urban Balcony hired me as their Sales Assistant whilst some acquaintances questioned me as to whether this was "beneath me". My mum worked three cleaning jobs raising me, nothing is beneath me ever. Plus I love the thrill of selling to an ecstatic customer.

It is The Urban Balcony's 10th year and I would like to congratulate Joanna and Warren on a great job.

I now have my own freelance management consulting business where I get to share my diverse work experiences with my clients. I train and give advice to my clients and some go against it often because it requires a shift in thinking or short term sacrifice (change management) for a long term goal. It's their business and their perogative, some are still struggling or have closed down.

The Urban Balcony had a great niche market idea of selling specific pots, plants and furniture for balcony owners. Not as easy as some thought. Other businesses tried, but not to the same success. Customers thought they could take their own 50kg pots, potting mix and furniture up flights of stairs in their building to save money, boy did they call up with urgency for us to fix it for them when they were overwhelmed.

Your open mind, flare for design, supplier negotiating skills and more is what withstood the test of time.
Well done!

King M. Rakic

Comments

Popular Posts