I Give, Not Because I Have A Lot


Tears where in my eyes when I watched the video for TD Bank. This is beautiful. I love acts of kindness, be it random or pre-planned.


When I was a teen in a little country town called Canberra (it felt tiny at that age, but it is the capital of Australia), late night shopping was on a Friday night and my best friend and I would just hang at the mall like most teens. He was unsure of how to approach girls (I was indifferent) so after quite a few set backs he bought a bunch of red roses (he was not rich) and we started walking inside the mall and outside looking for teen girls to give a single rose to. He didn't chat up all of the girls (he was half a hippy, transforming completely in the years to come, so giving and sharing came easily to him), but one or two phone numbers out of twelve roses definitely improved his chances compared to his failed attempts in the past. And for the other 10 girls who could have been looking in the mirror and hating themselves for who they are, I hope that for at least one night, they felt like the most beautiful girl in the world. That was my motivation for handing out a rose as my acne left it's own mental scars for many years even after my physical scars had subsided thanks to the beauty therapy industry.


Yes I understand that this is publicity for a bank, I understand that it was staged. But most sex videos to launch a career are the same staged, publicity oriented formulas. I choose to lose myself for a moment in this banks message and to take a look at myself and those around me.

With banks in Australia admitting that they charge too much with unnecessary fees, due to a court case, A little love would go a long way. I challenge all companies to see what philanthropic work do they do. It's good publicity and someone else benefits, win/win.

As for you, just keep it in your mind and do what you can when that one moment comes along. You could be that one person that keeps someone from doing something really bad to themself. You walk away with a smile, they walk away with a life.

A great website is Random Acts Of Kindness.org as it has a quick filter so that you can be inspired instantly.

I don't watch the news, the presenters don't look very happy.

Comments

Popular Posts