I'm Walking, Talking And Looking Forward



“You don’t get explanations in real life. You just get moments that are absolutely, utterly, inexplicably odd.”

— Neil Gaiman

I was a General Manager running 2 successful business centres for Regus. The only GM in New South Wales with 2 permanent centres. I loved my job.

I was head hunted by a company called Aromatherapy Associates to create and run their retail division for Australia and a couple stores in Asia. I don't believe in bad mouthing them so the details are for me to know. But within 1 month we let go of all our staff and then I left. Despite what happened being out of my control, I still felt a huge loss as I have a team mentality. I don't give up on people easily. But when it falls apart, there is only so much that you can do.

Out of necessity I set up my own business management consulting company and I helped a few businesses to grow. After a few months that ended and I needed to look elsewhere. I didn't have the money to fully create my own business and it was never my plan to do so.

Part of my work was creating my blog to showcase my work. Thank you Tanita for seeing that in me and encouraging me to blog. It was my saviour after Aromatherapy Associates as it showed me my worth as a Manager. Consequently they have stopped trading in the retail sector and that chapter of my life is over.

The next stage was me juggling 3 casual jobs, lots of hard labour, broken shoes, not eating at times, my landlord finding out she had cancer and wanting to sell my flat, me having to prepare it for weekly open house visits by the public, exploring if I need to move out, a friend passing away last week. I am not a victim, it's just blah..

There were tears, there was a lot of peace after a while when I just let it all go as it was out of my control and it was just time to take each day one hour at a time. That is all that I could do and I was ok with that. I was not a tough guy, I never want the world to make me that way. Nor was I an overly emotional person at that time. It was just a bit of both and just a lot of blah...

There is not a lot to learn from that time, I tried looking. But I do know now that I have been too hard on myself by being so career driven in the past. I'm not complacent now, far from it, but if I am to be a Store Manager for the rest of my life, then that is totally fine. I have a blog that is in +20 countries, kick ass funny Facebook friends...what more do I need?

Comments

Popular Posts