Migratory Heart


Two years ago today it was winter! Thank you Facebook 'on this day' app.

In a poignant twist of fate, as I woke up this morning, I accepted that it is winter after a few nights of experimentation with blankets and sheets (and days with cardigans and jackets) I have successfully balanced the "not warm enough"/"too warm, sweaty" conundrum. Sounds a bit over the top? Well, every winter is different and this year there is a particularly sharp and cutting icicle chill in the air. My thoughts turn to my mum (no that is not us pictured, it's reminiscent of how we should try to learn to accept the cards that we are dealt in life-not always, this is a generalisation) as she lives in Canberra which hit -5 celcius (23 fahrenheit for my peeps in America, I know this is nothing to your winter, please read on) last week. 

"I love a sunburnt country, 
A land of sweeping plains, 
Of ragged mountain ranges, 
Of droughts and flooding rains. 
I love her far horizons, 
I love her jewel-sea, 
Her beauty and her terror 
The wide brown land for me!"* 
As Australians, we embrace this poem, it embraces and represents a part of our lives. There is no mention of icicle chills or cold and miserable. It is a poem, it's not a constitution, but I'm not living my life behind. I want to live, and move, forward. But I am not a rebel force.

Hate is a strong word.
I dislike winter.
I had the best sleep last night as this winters chill was different (people are different) it took me a while to experiment a few different ways and then, in my own time, I got it! Toasty warm, fuzzy, happy feeling.

I accept that winter is different (countries and people as well), it doesn't mean I have to like it, but I don't hate it, to be honest-if it snowed, I would LOVE to make a snowball or...a snowman!

Leave the frozen heart for your snowman.."let it go, let it go"..but don't be delusional either as extreme sun could lead to skin cancer . We kind of accept our environment around the world, we should love it, but even scientists and weather presenters are laughed at by us. 

What do we think of people in different countries? "Ain't nobody got time for that"? 

King M. Rakic
*Dorothea Mackeller

Comments

Popular Posts