Business Melioration

A staff member asked me once "You will never be satisfied, will you?" I thought it was an attack, but I stopped for a minute to think about it and then I turned to her and replied "No I won't. I will be happy with what WE can do, but I will always be striving for a better and easier way for us to get through our day". This incited dedication and drove my staff to push themselves, and myself, that little bit further.

Be it how my staff hold the carry bag before they present (not give) it to their customer, to how we stand when serving a customer, to how we complete our window displays. Every step of the customer journey matters, in every industry. This is your point of difference.

This week I visited my staff in a Regus centre where I was the previous General Manager. It warmed my heart to see the big smiles and for the staff to stand up from their desk to greet me. Psychologically this said to me that I was the most important person in the room and that whatever they where doing wasn't as important as me being there at that time. I know that they do this for all new clients entering the business centre and it was a unique opportunity for me to feel this from a client's perspective. Anything less than that would be unconscionable. If I could get this level of dedication from fifteen year olds in a fast food restaurant, then I can definitely achieve this in a five star business.

Why take the easy way out when it may require you to revisit it again as it was only half finished.



Haste may lead to waste.
The devil is in the detail. 

This means that small things, which may be overlooked, can cause serious problems later on. For example social media where I have observed a new company entering the Australian market. They spent a lot of money on marketing and training their staff, yet they left the social media component of their business greatly unguarded. I can not comment on why this was the case, as I was not involved with the company, but the backlash was quite severe as they did not answer any clients strong concerns let alone the basics "what are your stores hours?". Just think how this looks to your customers. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Use social media correctly, try and keep it in house with a dedicated full time staff member who can answer your customers questions efficiently. Outsourcing your social media to a public relations company is fine, but do they really know your brand? How much time will they need to call you back to verify information for your customers? 

Customers are forgiving, an answer by the end of the day or the next morning is fine if you are a small business and you do not have the resources. But do not open a social media account if you are not willing to invest the time. Think of it as a noticeboard. If it is cluttered up with too many questions and no answers, it starts to look like a mess.

Social media is your business card, your modus operandi and your connection to your customers. It is an extension of your customer service, no matter your size.

King M. Rakic

Comments

Popular Posts